90% percent of all proposals the U.S. has ever made to reduce or eliminate protected areas have taken place since 2000. Perhaps it's time to take matters into our own hands. According to the Land Trust Alliance, there are 1,363 land trusts across the United States. Land trusts and land conservancies are committed to helping landowners find the best solution to conserving their land, be it a conservation easement or donation to a conservancy or land trust. Join us as we discuss land trusts and conservancies throughout our area and how they can help you conserve your land.
The Nature Conservancy:
E.L Rose Conservancy
P.O. Box 8
Montrose, PA 18801
Office telephone: (570) 278-9500
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
North Branch Land Trust
251 Huntsville-Idetown Road
Dallas, PA 18612
Phone: (570) 310-1781
PO Box 55
La Plume, PA 18440
Water Quality in In Our Region
Roughly 70% of the earth is water, but less than 1 percent is available for human use. Join us as we discuss designations, indicators, degradation, and how we can maintain or even increase the water quality in our waterways on the only planet we have.
Save the Dirt! (And Our Waterways)
The United States Environmental Protection Agency reports that “while natural erosion produces nearly 30 percent of the total sediment in the United States, accelerated erosion from human use of land accounts for the remaining 70 percent“. They also report that “Sediment pollution causes $16 billion in environmental damage annually”.It’s no wonder that sediment is the #1 pollutant of waterways throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Join us as we discuss how you can keep your soil from running into our waterways when doing any earth moving related activities. You might even learn how to keep water cleaner, protect aquatic organisms, save taxpayer dollars, and preserve the soil on your own property.
It's elusive, it plays the drums (not quite but it does drum), and its population is in decline. Meet Pennsylvania's game bird: the Ruffed Grouse. Join us as we find out where the Ruffed Grouse likes to spend its time, how long it lives, and why there are less Ruffed Grouse today then there were 20 years ago.
Pa. Dept. Of Conservation And Natural Resources Seeking Public Opinion On Forests
The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has created an online survey and are asking public input to help plan the future for forest land in Pennsylvania. The Department is seeking the opinions of those who visit and enjoy approximately 17 million acres of forest land in Pennsylvania.
The survey opens on July 1 and will be able to be accessed until August 31. The survey takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
Find the survey HERE